How to Elope in Iceland: A Complete Guide
Are you craving an elopement adventure that immerses you in the midst of awe-inspiring landscapes? The answer lies in Iceland, a realm of unparalleled natural marvels and surreal beauty. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll delve into the untamed wilderness of South Iceland, taking you through the rugged terrains of Vik, the cascading majesty of Skogafoss, the icebound allure of Glacier Lagoon, the highlands beckoning for off-road exploration, and the timeless allure of the black sand beach. Furthermore, we’ll navigate the optimal seasons for your vows in this mystical realm, chart a course on how to reach Iceland, and unveil the ideal havens for your stay in southern Iceland.
Exploring Iceland’s Gems
1. Vik: With its dramatic cliffs, black sand beaches, and the iconic Reynisdrangar sea stacks, Vik is a picturesque village that’s perfect for an elopement. Imagine saying your vows with the crashing waves and basalt columns as your backdrop.
2. Skogafoss: This majestic waterfall is a sight to behold. The misty cascades and rainbows that often appear make for a fairytale setting. There’s a reason everyone visits this waterfall! But with its fame comes plenty of crowds so you will want to plan accordingly if you don’t want to be surrounded by a busload of strangers.
3. Glacier Lagoon (Jokulsarlon): For a touch of icy magic, the Glacier Lagoon is unbeatable. Glowing blue icebergs and the Vatnajokull Glacier in the background create an otherworldly atmosphere, making it a top choice for a unique elopement location. There are also lesser known areas with glacier views (and less crowds) that I can help you find!
4. Off-Roading in the Highlands: Imagine renting a Jeep or a classic Land Rover for the ultimate adventure! For the adventurous couple, the rugged highlands offer thrilling off-roading experiences including fording through river streams. With vast landscapes of untouched wilderness, you can elope in a truly remote and awe-inspiring location that few have witnessed.
5. Black Sand Beach (Reynisfjara): The stark contrast of the black sand against the crashing Atlantic waves and basalt columns makes this beach an unforgettable elopement destination. It’s a place where nature’s raw power meets timeless romance.
6. Secret Waterfalls: Believe it or not there are waterfalls that are amazingly beautiful, easy to access, AND way less trafficked than some of the more well known locations. I’ve scouted some out and am happy to help my clients find these amazing falls for a much more private experience.
Choosing the Perfect Time of Year
Iceland’s weather can be unpredictable, so selecting the right time for your elopement is crucial.
Summer – (June to August) offers milder temperatures and long daylight hours, giving you ample time for a dreamy ceremony. With the longer days we can even be out in the middle of the “night” with plenty of light for photos AND less tourists.
Winter – (November to February) brings the possibility of witnessing the Northern Lights, creating a magical backdrop for your special day.
Shoulder seasons – Spring and Fall will bring cooler temperatures but with the possibility of less people than summer. Spring has a slightly higher chance of storms but Fall is perfect if you’re hunting for the aurora borealis and don’t mind cooler temps.
Getting to Iceland
Flying into Iceland is super easy! International flights go into Keflavik, near Reykjavik, and from there it is easy to rent a car or take a bus into the city. Since we’re mainly discussing the Vik area of Iceland, you will want to rent a car from the airport and then drive through the beautiful countryside of Iceland taking Route 1 the entire way.
Where To Stay in the Vik Area
The Vik area offers a range of accommodations for all kinds of preferences:
- Luxury Hotels: Spoil yourselves by staying in a luxurious hotel with stunning ocean views and top-notch amenities.
- Cozy Guesthouses: Experience Icelandic hospitality by staying in charming guesthouses, where you’ll be welcomed like family.
- Rustic Cabins: For a more secluded experience, consider renting a cabin surrounded by nature, where you can enjoy each other’s company in peace.
- Airbnbs: Yes! Even in Iceland you can find beautiful airbnb’s in both the city areas and the countryside for a quieter escape.
- Rent A Camper Van: If you don’t want to be tied to the same place every night you could rent a camper van. Camper vans give you the flexibility to end the night wherever you want so you don’t have to worry about wandering too far from base camp.
Ready to elope in Iceland??
Eloping in Iceland is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that combines the expedition of a lifetime with the wild natural landscapes of black sand beaches, highlands, and waterfalls. No matter where you choose to elope in Iceland it will be an unforgettable journey into the heart of Iceland’s magic that I can help you navigate for a stress free adventure.